Friday, June 27, 2008

GPS Tracking Device...

Another tech goal I can cross off of my list for 2008....

I read about a site called Mologogo in Popular Science last year. They hacked a Boost Mobile phone to allow you to broadcast your GPS position to a Google Map. Naturally I had to try it. And I did. I had a page set up that would automatically load my most recent position via the cell phone. For a while I was happy with this. Then I saw the stunning satellite imagery of Microsoft Virtual Earth. All of a sudden the pictures from my Google Map didn't look quite as impressive. I looked for a way to set up the phone to transmit location info to Virtual Earth, but I couldn't figure it out. At least not yet.

Fast forward many months and many hours learning php code later, I am singing a different tune. I finally figured out how to set up the Boost phone to transmit to my own script, when then loads the coordinates into a Microsoft Live Map. The results are both stunning and creepy. Now you can track me as if you were in a low-flying hot air balloon.

Click here for the full size page...











2 comments:

  1. ou will realize that it can do more good than bad. Imagine the savings companies will get through the unbelievable software. Knowing effective employees will be of the company’s best interest. Employers will now know who are the responsible ones and the ones who are just hanging around. cellphonetrackerusa.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another technical progression... Thank you so much for distributing this article among your reading audience! Kindest regards, writing custom service

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment: