Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Free Remote PC Access...



Do you ever get home and realize you left something on your computer? It happens to the best of us. By now most people are familiar with Remote Access software. GotomyPC.com has made the phrase fairly ubiquitous. But who wants to pay $20 per month to access your PC? Many of us don't have that extra money to shell out, especially if you would only use it a few times a month or less.

A few months ago I stumbled across a website called Logmein that offers 100% free access to as many remote PCs as you need! I am always skeptical about free services such as this, but I have been pleasantly surprised by how easy and effective it is. In fact, it wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that it has saved me more than a few times when I forget something on a computer that is many miles away from me.

The process is easy.

  1. Sign up for a free account.
  2. Install the software on every computer you need to access remotely. (Only takes a few minutes and only needs to be done once)
  3. Once you have installed Logmein on your remote computers, they will show up on your "My Computers" list every time you log in. You can see which computers are online and which ones are not. (You cannot access a computer that is not turned on and online)
  4. Click on any computer you need to access. You will be connected in a matter of seconds.
  5. Once you are connected, you can access the contents of your remote computer by clicking the Remote icon.
  6. From there you have full access to the contents of the remote computer. You can view the remote computer in Full Screen, you can cut and paste between machines, you can even print documents from the remote computer.
One of the most common scenarios for me in which I thank my lucky stars I have Logmein is when I realize I forget something on another computer. I log onto the remote computer, open my Gmail account from that computer, and send myself the missing file as an attachment. Within a few seconds, it is waiting for me on my home computer. It is as good as being 2 places at once.

I highly recommend it. It just might save your day.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment: