Friday, February 8, 2008

Microsoft Live Maps put Google to shame...

In the same week that had me questioning my life-long preference of PC over Mac, I have just stumbled across a new technology (new to me at least) that again has me stopping to reevaluate all that I once held dear.

Here it is: Microsoft's Virtual Earth/Live Search Maps blows Google Earth/Maps out of the water.

There, I said it. Now the healing can begin.

I always thought Google Earth would be the last satellite imagery software I would ever buy download. The pictures in Google Earth seemed so clear to me. The ability to zoom down so close to buildings so amazing.

Then today I decided to give Microsoft's Virtual Earth a look just for giggles in a few free minutes I found unexpectedly. It was amazing! The pictures are so much more clear!

The quality of the pictures and the ability to clearly zoom a little bit deeper than Google Earth/Maps would have been enough to convince me that Virtual Earth deserved a second look.
Then I hit the "Bird's Eye View" feature.

Oh snap!

You can view any location from all 4 sides from a height of 25 yards!

Here is a screenshot from Google Maps:

And here is the same location in Bird's Eye View from Virtual Earth/Live Search:

Incredible. First PC's let me down and now Google is bested. I am Lost.



Click here when you are ready to give it a try for yourself.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment: